Over the course of this weekend and today I wrote all of my RW1 stories, I profiled a Bronx musician, I put together my mid-semester portfolio, I wrote my TNGG story, did all my reading, solidified my master’s project idea and applied to spring semester internships. I did everything I was supposed to do–and more–yet why do I still feel so overwhelmed?
Your guess is as good as mine, but I can’t be the only J-Schooler feeling like their brain is melted and that screaming would feel really great right now–so I decided to create a handy list on how to handle the stress of Columbia.
How to handle J-School stress and feeling so overwhelmed that you might cry:
- Make a list of all the things you must do. I enjoy sticking post-it notes to my mirror.
- Shed one solitary tear.
- Write your 2,000 word story. Proclaim that it’s the most terrible thing ever written on this planet (aside from “Twilight”) and send it into your RW1 professor.
- Weep for three minutes.
- Start researching your master’s project and lament that the Columbia program is only one year.
- Weep, heavily, for six minutes.
- Check your e-mail to discover your RW1 professor wants you to read five articles for class the next morning.
- Make coffee.
- Cry into coffee.
- Finish coffee.
- Read the articles.
- Yell at your roommate/cat/dog/neighbor because you remember that on top of all this RW1 shenanigans you also have reading for your Friday 4-pack classes (three, 30-page law cases plus history readings) as well as an assignment for your Saturday skills class.
- Yell louder because you realize that your RW1 story pitch for next week revolves around an event on Saturday that you can’t go to because you have a skills class that is (in)conveniently scheduled for the middle of the day.
- Cry. Cry. Cry some more.
- Gather yourself and make frantic phone calls searching for a new story.
- Breathe a momentary sigh of relief until you remember that your elective starts this week and you also have an assignment for that.
- Freak out because you also have SPJ responsibilities this week.
- Shot gun a Red Bull, say a prayer to Joseph Pulitzer’s holy ghost.
- Repeat (until May 2011).
You feel me?